Student Senate Bylaws, Article VI., Section 5
D. STUDENT CONSULTATIVE COMMITTEE
The Student Consultative Committee shall represent the students at large and the seven recognized University of Minnesota student governance organizations, including the Council of Graduate Students (COGS), Crookston Student Association (CSA), Minnesota Student Association (MSA), Morris Campus Student Association (MCSA), Professional Student Government (PSG), Rochester Student Association (RSA), and the University of Minnesota Duluth Student Association (UMDSA).
The Student Consultative Committee shall serve as the consulting body to the president and as the executive committee of the Student Senate.
The Student Consultative Committee shall
be composed of:
- one representative of COGS
- one representative of CSA
- one representative of MSA
- one representative of MCSA
- one representative of PSG
- one representative of RSA
- one representative of UMDSA
- the chair, vice chair, and at-large representative of the Student Senate.
Student governance representative members shall be the sitting vice presidents (or the otherwise second-highest ranking executive officers) of the respective student governance organizations, or elected or appointed in accordance with procedures determined by the respective campuses’ student governance organizations.
Student vacancies shall be filled in accordance with procedures determined by the respective campuses for the balance of any unexpired term until the next regular election.
The chair of the Student Senate shall also serve as the chair of the Student Consultative Committee. The vice chair of the Student Senate shall also serve as the vice chair of the Student Consultative Committee. The at-large representative of the Student Senate shall also serve as the at-large representative of the Student Consultative Committee. Chair, vice chair, and at-large representative elections should be subject to the following provisions:
The seven members who serve on the Senate Consultative Committee shall be composed of:
- The chair, vice chair, and at-large representative shall not also hold executive, elected, or appointed positions in their respective student governance organizations.
- If either the chair, vice chair, or at-large representative has already been elected to the Student Consultative Committee as a regular member, they must concede that position to another student, to be chosen as soon as possible by the appropriate student governance organization.
- If either the chair-elect, vice chair-elect, or at-large representative-elect has already been elected to or will hold an executive or elected position in their respective student governance organization during the upcoming year, they must concede that position prior to taking office in the Student Senate.
- The chair, vice chair, and at-large representative of the Student Senate shall be elected by the Student Senate in accordance with the Senate Constitution, Article 5, Section 3 (a).
- The chair, vice chair, and at-large representative are eligible for re-election to these positions.
- the chair of the Student Senate
- six of the seven student governance representatives
The Student Consultative Committee will vote to determine which student governance representatives will serve on the Senate Consultative Committee.
a. To meet separately from the
Senate Consultative Committee as a consultative body, when necessary, to discuss
with the president, or others, matters of concern to the student
b. To initiate whatever studies it deems necessary and appropriate
or to request such studies from the president or senior academic officers or
from committees of the Senate.
c. To advise the president on procedures
for making major administrative appointments and to participate in the selection
d. To receive from any student notification of concerns which
may require consultation with the president or senior academic officers.
a. To superintend and direct all committees reporting to the Student Senate, which includes the authority to require that any committee reporting to the Student Senate report on any matter within its jurisdiction within 30 days.
b. To receive recommendations of any student who wishes to present a proposal to the Student Senate and to refer or act upon such recommendations as it deems appropriate.
c. To serve as a coordinating body between the president and the Student Senate or a committee reporting to the Senate.
d. To serve as a coordinating body between the recognized student governance organizations and the Student Senate or a committee reporting to the Student Senate.
e To prepare and approve the agenda for each meeting of the Student Senate in accordance with the Constitution, Bylaws, and Rules of the University Senate.
a. To serve as a deliberative body
of the Student Senate on all major items the Student Senate deems necessary and
b. To act on behalf of the Student Senate when a decision is
required prior to the next scheduled meeting of the Student Senate and when a
decision is required when it would not be possible to convene a special meeting
of the Student Senate in a timely fashion; such actions will be reported to the
Student Senate at its next meeting and the Student Senate may then overrule the
Student Senate Consultative Committee.
c. To examine any action taken
affecting students by the Board of Regents, the central administration, or by
another individual or body having any relationship with the University.
d. To report regularly on any matters which, in its judgment, should be
brought to the attention of the University at large or specifically to the
attention and consideration of the Student Senate.
e. To appoint or
assist in appointing, when requested, members of non-Senate committees.
f. To appoint special committees or subcommittees or to employ other devices
which it deems necessary and appropriate.
g. To dispose of business
which appears to be not germane to the purposes of the Student
Return to the Student Senate Consultative Committee Homepage