The Health Sciences Student Consultative Committee (HS SCC) represents the graduate, professional, and undergraduate students and not the individual institutes, colleges, schools, or departments within the Health Sciences.
2020-2021 Meeting Schedule
The Health Sciences Student Consultative Committee meets Wednesdays from 5:30-6:30 p.m., unless otherwise noted. Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, all University Senate governance committees will continue to meet online via Zoom until further notice.
|October 28, 2020||5:30-6:30 p.m.||Online Via Zoom|
|December 2, 2020||5:30-6:30 p.m.||Online Via Zoom|
|January 27, 2021||5:30-6:30 p.m.||306 Morrill Hall|
|February 24, 2021||5:30-6:30 p.m.||306 Morrill Hall|
|March 24, 2021||5:30-6:30 p.m.||306 Morrill Hall|
|April 28, 2021||5:30-6:30 p.m.||306 Morrill Hall|
Committee members will be automatically added to a Google Calendar invite for these meetings at the beginning of the 2020-21 academic year.
Student Senate Bylaws, Article VI., Section 5
A. ACADEMIC HEALTH CENTER STUDENT CONSULTATIVE COMMITTEE
The Academic Health Center Student Consultative Committee (AHC SCC) shall represent the graduate, professional, and undergraduate students and not the individual institutes, colleges, schools, or departments within the Academic Health Center.
The Academic Health Center Student Consultative Committee shall be composed of:
- 18 student members as follows:
- 1 from Dental Hygiene
- 1 from Dentistry
- 1 from Dental Therapy
- 1 from Medical Laboratory Sciences (MLS) - Twin Cities
- 1 from Medical Laboratory Sciences (MLS) - Rochester
- 1 from the Medical School - Twin Cities (1st or 2nd year)
- 1 from the Medical School - Twin Cities (3rd or 4th year)
- 1 from the Medical School - Duluth
- 1 from Mortuary Science
- 1 from Nursing - Twin Cities
- 1 from Nursing - Rochester
- 1 from Occupational Therapy (OT) - Twin Cities
- 1 from Occupational Therapy (OT) - Rochester
- 1 from Pharmacy - Twin Cities
- 1 from Pharmacy - Duluth
- 1 from Physical Therapy
- 1 from Public Health
- 1 from Veterinary Medicine
- ex officio representation as specified by vote of the University Senate.
Each member is elected/appointed by his/her respective student board if one exists. Otherwise appointments shall be made by a program advisor.
The Academic Health Center Student Consultative Committee shall elect its chair from amongst its members for a one year term of office. The chair shall be eligible for re-election to that position.
Duties and Responsibilities
a. To meet at least monthly to discuss matters of concern to students.
b. To meet regularly with the Associate Vice President for Education and other academic officers to represent the viewpoints of students, as appropriate.
c. To meet annually with the following:
- The Senior Vice President for the Health Sciences
- The Chief Financial Officer of the AHC
- Representatives from 1Health
d. The chair shall meet each semester with the chair of the AHC Faculty Consultative Committee to discuss issues of concern to both faculty and students, and the two committees shall meet jointly as deemed necessary by the chairs.
e. The chair shall meet each semester with the chair of CHIP to discuss issues of concern to both groups.
f. Each representative shall report to his/her student board/class at least once each semester.
g. To meet and report to the Student Senate Consultative Committee as needed.
Mental Health Resources
As part of the Academic Health Center, we are all part of the health care field. Being in the health care field we tend to others, but in the process we can forget to care for ourselves. As students we have added stress because we also have the pressure of exams, student loans, boards, and getting a job in an unsteady economy. If you are feeling overwhelmed, sad, anxious, or depressed, please seek help. If you do not know where to seek help start at one of these links:
- Duluth Health Services
- Duluth Student Services (financial aid and career counseling)
- Center for American Indian and Minority Health