The P&A Consultative Committee represents the P&A at large, rather than the individual campuses, institutes, colleges, schools, or departments of the University. The P&A Consultative Committee serves as the consulting body to the president and as executive committee of the P&A Senate.
All P&As are welcome to submit issues for consideration by the PACC and P&A Senate.
2021-22 P&A Consultative Committee Leadership
2021-22 Meeting Schedule
The P&A Consultative Committee meets Thursdays from 1-2:30 p.m., unless otherwise noted. University Senate Governance committees will continue meeting via Zoom during fall semester 2021. Meeting modality for spring semester 2022 will be revisited closer to the end of the 2021 calendar year.
|September 2, 2021||1-2:00 p.m.||Online Via Zoom|
|September 23, 2021||1-2:30 p.m.||Online Via Zoom|
|October 14, 2021||1-2:30 p.m.||Online Via Zoom|
|November 18, 2021||1-2:30 p.m.||Online Via Zoom|
|December 9, 2021||1-2:30 p.m.||Online Via Zoom|
|January 20, 2022||1-2:30 p.m.||TBD|
|February 17, 2022||1-2:30 p.m.||TBD|
|March 17, 2022||1-2:30 p.m.||TBD|
|April 14, 2022||1-2:30 p.m.||TBD|
|May 19, 2022||1-2:30 p.m.||TBD|
Committee members will be automatically added to a Google Calendar invite for these meetings at the beginning of the 2021-22 academic year.
A. P&A CONSULTATIVE COMMITTEE
The P&A Consultative Committee shall represent the P&A at large and not the individual campuses, institutes, colleges, schools, or departments of the University.
The P&A Consultative Committee shall serve as the consulting body to the president and as executive committee of the P&A Senate.
The P&A Consultative Committee shall consist of at least six voting members as follows and ex officio representation as specified by vote of the P&A Senate:
- A Chair;
- A Chair-elect;
- the Chair of the Benefits and Compensation Subcommittee;
- the Chair of the Communications Subcommittee;
- the Chair of the Outreach Subcommittee;
- the Chair of the Professional Development and Recognition Subcommittee.
These members shall be members of the P&A Senate at the time of election and elected by the P&A Senate. Members shall be nominated and elected subject to the following provisions:
- A call for nominations for the chair-elect and subcommittee chairs shall be made via email to the P&A Senate and at a P&A Senate meeting. The call shall include a nomination form. All current P&A Senate members and alternates are eligible to run for these positions.
- Nominations shall remain open for at least one month.
- The chair-elect and subcommittee chairs shall be elected at a P&A Senate meeting from nominations received in advance of the meeting or those from the floor of the P&A Senate.
- If there is a contested election for any office, subsequent runoff ballots shall be held among the candidates receiving at least 25% of the votes cast, until one candidate receives a majority of votes cast. In the case of a tie, another ballot shall be taken.
- If any member is not re-elected by his or her unit constituency, or if that unit’s representation on the P&A Senate is changed, the member may continue to serve as on the P&A Consultative Committee if elected as a member and if their chair term limit has not expired.
Once elected, the P&A Consultative Committee chair and chair-elect will relinquish their unit-elected seats in the P&A Senate.
In case of a vacancy, the P&A Senate shall hold a special election until the next general election.
In the event that no candidate for the chair-elect is identified, the incoming chair will continue to fill the duties of the chair-elect until a special election is held to fill the chair-elect position.
Articles VIII, Section 2(d) of the Rules governing absences from committee meetings and Article I, Section 5 and Article VII, Section 4 of Bylaws governing absences from Senate meetings shall apply to the P&A Consultative Committee.
Duties and Responsibilities
a. To discuss with the president and other University officers issues or policies of the University of concern to P&A and, as appropriate, to make recommendations concerning such matters to the P&A Senate.
b. To initiate whatever studies it deems necessary and appropriate or to request such studies from the president or senior academic officers or from committees of the P&A Senate.
c. To consult with the president or senior academic officers on planning and on the annual budget and the biennial request.
d. To advise the president on procedures for making major administrative appointments and to participate in the selection process.
e. To receive from any P&A notification of concerns which may require consultation with the president or senior academic officers.
a. To superintend and direct all committees and subcommittees of the P&A Senate, which includes the authority to require that any committee or subcommittee of the P&A Senate report on any matter within its jurisdiction within 30 days.
b. To receive recommendations of any P&A who wishes to present a proposal to the P&A Senate and to refer or act upon such recommendations as it deems appropriate.
c. To route to the appropriate body all documents, proposals, or papers on any matter pertaining to the affairs of the P&A Senate.
d. To serve as a coordinating body between the president and the P&A Senate or a committee of the P&A Senate.
e. To be responsible for the preparation and distribution of the agenda for each meeting of the P&A Senate in accordance with the Constitution, Bylaws, and Rules of the P&A Senate.
f. To recommend, with the approval of the P&A Senate, such rules of procedure as are not provided in the Constitution or Bylaws.
g. To keep the published Constitution, Bylaws, and Rules of the P&A Senate up to date.
h. To ensure a smooth leadership succession by appointing, no later than December 31, an ad-hoc nominations subcommittee consisting of no less than three P&A Senate members to solicit nominees for the chair-elect and subcommittee chair positions.
a. To serve as a deliberative body of the P&A Senate on all major items it deems necessary and appropriate.
b. To act on behalf of the P&A Senate when a decision is required prior to the next scheduled meeting of the P&A Senate and when a decision is required when it would not be possible to convene a special meeting of the P&A Senate in a timely fashion; such actions will be reported to the P&A Senate at its next meeting and the P&A Senate may then overrule the P&A Consultative Committee.
c. To examine any action taken respecting the University by the Board of Regents, the central administration, or by another individual or body having any relationship with the University.
d. To appoint or assist in appointing, when requested, P&A members of Senate and non-Senate committees.
e. To appoint special committees or subcommittees or to employ other devices which it deems necessary and appropriate.
f. To report regularly on any matters which, in its judgment, should be brought to the attention of the University at large or specifically to the attention and consideration of the P&A Senate.
g. To dispose of business which appears to be not germane to the purposes of the P&A Senate.
h. To make editorial changes in P&A Senate policies and documents (including the constitution, bylaws, and rules) to reflect changes in titles of administrative offices or officers; the changes will be reported to the P&A Senate for information.
a. To assess and monitor University policy and the administration thereof with the goal of achieving equity across employee groups and among individual employees.
b. To actively and regularly raise issues significant to P&A employees with University administration and governance.
c. To educate and engage P&A employees in issues and policy affecting the employee group.
- Academic Appointments with Teaching Functions
- Academic Unit Authority over the Curriculum and Major: Twin Cities, Crookston, Morris, Rochester
- Adding, Changing, or Discontinuing Academic Plans
- Admissions for Undergraduates: Twin Cities
- Appointments of Academic Professional and Administrative Employees
- Assessing Units for Institutional Business Systems
- Bereavement Leave for Faculty and Academic Professional and Administrative Employees
- Charging of Facilities and Administrative/Indirect Costs to Sponsored Projects
- Compensation for Academic Professional and Administrative Employees
- Conducting Research with Human Embryos or Embryonic Stem Cells
- Conflict Resolution for Faculty, P&A, Civil Service, and Student Employees
- Copyright Ownership
- Early and Select Appointment Terminations for Academic Professional and Administrative Employees
- Education in the Responsible Conduct of Sponsored Research and Grants Management
- Effort Certification
- Family and Medical - FMLA Leave
- Hiring Faculty and Staff
- Individual Conflicts of Interest and Standards Governing Relationships with Business Entities
- Military, Court Appearance, or Civic Duty Leaves
- Modifying Appointments of Academic Professional and Academic Administrative Employees for Financial Stringency
- Non-Renewal of Appointment for Academic Professional and Administrative Employees
- Non-Renewal Program for Academic Professional and Administrative Employees
- Openness in Research
- Outside Consulting and Other Commitments
- Paid Medical Leave and Disability Benefits for Faculty and Academic Professional and Administrative Employees
- Parental Leave for Employees
- Performance Management for Academic Professional and Administrative Employees
- Professional Development Leaves for Academic Professional and Administrative Employees
- Public Service: Campaigning for or Holding Public Office
- Regents Scholarship Program
- Reporting Suspected Misconduct
- Traveling on University Business
- Unpaid Personal Leaves for Faculty and Academic Professional and Administrative Employees
- Vacation Leave for Faculty and Academic Professional and Administrative Employees
Past Chairs of the PACC
2019 - 2020 Noelle Noonan
2017 - 2019 Ian Ringgenberg
2017 Fall Semester Catherine St. Hill
2016 - 2017 Etty DeVeaux
2015 - 2016 Suzanne Vandergon
2014 - 2015 Katherine Dowd
2013 - 2014 Cynthia Murdoch
2012 - 2013 Ann Hagen
2011 - 2012 Steven Pearthree